Friday, November 22, 2013

FILM FOCUS: HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS, PART II

Welcome to Part Two of a two-part examination of the Greatest Thanksgiving Movie Evah, Home for the Holidays.  Along with all of my previous praise I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge how well the movie represents the holiday itself.  The majority of the film takes place on Thanksgiving Day and you get a parade scene, you get football (both on TV and the front yard variety) and lots and lots of food.  Two turkeys, one fat and one lean (trope!), sweet potatoes stuffed in orange peels with cherries on top, stuffing, pumpkin pie, eggnog and leftovers.  It feels like the kind of Thanksgiving I had growing up (both the food and the functioning-dysfunctional family part).
The secret ingredient is love.  And paprika.
The kids in my family always got chocolate advent calendars on Thanksgiving from first my great-grandmother and later my grandmother, marking the official kick-off of the Christmas season. Being the Christmas fanatic that I am, I’ve always appreciated the Christmas creep that crops up throughout the movie, very small touches that remind you, as in life, that Christmas is right around the corner.  There are lights and decorations glimpsed in people’s yards, Christmas decorations seen tucked away in the basement during one scene, and storefronts and the airport are seen already decked out the day after Thanksgiving.  These small touches root the movie even further in reality and always make me wistful that a sequel, Home for Christmas, doesn’t exist.
Christmas is right behind you. And a little to the left.
It gives nothing away to say that the movies ends with a beautiful montage, one of my favorites scenes in all of film.  It captures earlier alluded to moments of joy for each of the characters, during which none of family members had a camera or managed to capture on film and yet represent some of their happiest memories.  All of the characters are given their due, shown at their best and brightest: Tommy at his wedding on the beach, Claudia snorkeling with her daughter, even Joanne and her husband, younger and I like to think less judgey, just goofing off together.  Each scene is a moment when maybe not all that much happens save people loving one another and life in general.
The very thought of you...
It’s powerful stuff and it gets me every time (and I’ve seen this movie a lot).  It doesn’t help that it’s set to Nat King Cole singing “The Very Thought of You,” as Nat King Cole was basically the soundtrack of my own family growing up.  It’s the kind of montage that makes you wish life was nothing but just a series of happy moments set to music, but Home for the Holidays isn’t afraid to fill in the other moments as well, the darker and unhappier ones.

I’ll conclude by saying that while watching the movie this year Nick and I ended up having to pause it halfway through to have an argument, spurred by something I said which was in turn inspired by something that happened on screen (and not the aforementioned comparison to Joanne).  I won’t go into details and rest assured we made peace but it struck me that that’s how good and true this movie is: just watching it brought out our own real-life family issues!  It has both the power to ignite arguments and sooth the soul.  When I first moved to New York and spent my first couple of Thanksgivings away from my family I watched Home for the Holidays over and over again.  It was like spending time with my own family, like escaping into the past, goods times, bad times and all of the bittersweet in-between.  
The very thought of you, my love

No comments:

Post a Comment

SPECIAL SPOTLIGHT: NICKELODEON'S ULTIMATE HALLOWEEN HAUNTED HOUSE

I was recently traveling for work, which meant I was cut off from our TIVO and forced to watch TV in real time in my hotel room, sufferin...