Friday, November 29, 2013

COMMERCIAL BREAK: CHRISTMAS!

It’s here!  The Christmas season is happily upon us at last!  Everyone’s got their favorite holiday but I seriously LIVE for Christmas.  And now that we’ve eaten the sacrificial turkey it's time for the Big Show (to borrow a turn-of-phrase from Elf).  Since today is Black Friday and the official kick-off of the gift-giving season I thought it would be appropriate to begin with a Commercial Break.

Christmas commercials have always been a real treat.  Along with our family-favorite holiday episodes there were the commercials, taped to VHS and immortalized for repeat viewings.  Like the holiday itself Christmas commercials can be exuberant or melancholy; energizing or heartwarming.  For this first round-up I’ve selected a mix of some classics and new additions that run the gamut of yuletide emotions.

First up we have this Coke commercial.  Nothing but nothing gets me in the holiday mood more than that familiar chant: “The holidays are coming/the holidays are coming/the holidays are coming…”  I also always sort of associated Coke with Christmas since it’s one of the few times a year we had it growing up, served in fancy crystal glasses alongside our parent’s wine and the ubiquitous Martinelli’s sparkling cider at Christmas dinner.   And don’t even get me started on the Christmas they had a special limited edition Vanilla Coke…


Now that we’re in a festive mood, I’ve been dying to share this British advert since I first watched it a month ago when it made the rounds of the interwebs.  It’s for department store John Lewis and those Brits have really made an art of annual Christmas ads.  Yes, anything with animated forest animals is automatically calculated for maximum emotional effect but I don’t care: this commercial kills me with feelings.  Kills me.  


Now, wasn’t that beautiful?  As we wipe the tears from the corner of our eyes let’s move on to something vintage.  This 1980s 7-Up commercial was one of the many on the aforementioned VHS tapes of my youth.  I feel like present-day commercials aren’t nearly as elaborate as those of my childhood but this is pure 80s goodness.


Finally, I’m choosing to wrap things up with a somewhat innocuous Folger’s commercial that nevertheless sums up everything that’s great about vintage Christmas commercials.  Undeniably cheesy, it tells a story about a college-age kid coming home for the holidays (just like 90% of all other holiday commercials).  There’s just something about it that screams Christmas to me, maybe because I drink twice as much coffee when I’m home for the holidays than I do on a normal basis (blame a need to stay energized and my mom's own coffee habit).
  

Have I whetted your appetite for the Christmas TV joys that await us?  Hopefully you had a great Thanksgiving and are sane and therefore not out shopping with the masses but rather snuggled up at home, eating microwaved leftover mashed potatoes and gravy and delving in to all of that glorious Christmas TV!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SPECIAL SPOTLIGHT: NICKELODEON'S ULTIMATE HALLOWEEN HAUNTED HOUSE

I was recently traveling for work, which meant I was cut off from our TIVO and forced to watch TV in real time in my hotel room, sufferin...