Sunday, September 29, 2013

COMMERCIAL BREAK: McNugget Buddies


When I was a kid I knew Halloween was on its way when the "spooky" commercials started creeping in between our Saturday morning cartoons.  I feel like modern holiday commercials are fewer and far between and way less elaborate than in the golden age of the 80s and early 90s (or maybe it’s just me?).  Regardless, in those golden times the Halloween commercials were plentiful and a marvel to behold.  They were primarily for two things: fast food and cereal.  Around Halloween, candy and soda commercials were the runners up.

For whatever reason one commercial that has held fast in my memory is this ad for McDonald’s, featuring the “McNugget Buddies.”  Maybe it’s just because the idea of a talking chicken nugget dressed like the Bride of Frankenstein is rather unusual.  Or maybe it’s because as a miniature enthusiast I was impressed by the mini-castle set.  Whatever the reason, it’s rather amazing:


And not only did the McNugget Buddies star on a series of commercials, they even got their own Happy Meal toy line in the early 90s.  Sadly I didn’t have any of these, as fast food was a rare treat as a kid and we were more Burger King folk.  But I’m sure I coveted them at the time (I certainly do now), along with every other fast food toy ever made. 


Are you craving McNuggets yet?!  If so, that’s messed up because they can talk and have personalities and costumes and SOULS you sicko!
Yes, this is a picture of Count McNugget bathing in Sweet & Sour Sauce.  Don't act like you wouldn't, given the chance.

7 comments:

  1. I always liked honey with my Chicken McNuggets...NOT honey mustard, as I would frequently be given. And ketchup. And sometimes Sweet & Sour. The nuggets were really just a highly caloric vehicle for the condiments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally had those toys. I wish I still had them to give you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I am so jealous! I would kill for the one dressed like a witch. If I was less lazy I would troll ebay for all of the Happy Meals I was deprived of as a youth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Er, make that "troll ebay for all the Happy Meal TOYS." I am not interested in old Happy Meal FOOD. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOD!! I REMEMBER THOSE!!! I wanted them all... I remember getting like 3 mummies in a row and being really mad! Remember the Happy Meals that came in buckets, too? Purple witch, orange pumpkin, green Frankenstein.

    I loved all the Halloween cereal commercials too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those McDonald's Halloween buckets were EVERYwhere as a kid. Every sandbox, toy box and friend's bedroom had one. Of course I sadly never did thanks again to the lack of McDonald's in my life...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to be Count McNugget--only I would bathe myself in ketchup, the best condiment EVAH!

    ReplyDelete

SPECIAL SPOTLIGHT: NICKELODEON'S ULTIMATE HALLOWEEN HAUNTED HOUSE

I was recently traveling for work, which meant I was cut off from our TIVO and forced to watch TV in real time in my hotel room, sufferin...